Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Rocky Road

When I eat Rocky Road ice cream...my root-canal* on the right side of my mandible hurts from chomping all the nuts real good. 

So then I think to myself...who coined the term Rocky Road for such a comfort food.

 And beyond that thinking...(bc there's always a beyond that with me) what the hey was THAT person enduring at the time.

And then it made pretty with my day.  Often, this human experience gifts us with a suffering of sorts in order to direct us to true comfort.  And that comfort, after traversing the rocky road of the soul, is a life of spiritual surrender and indulgence in the unseen.





And now for a history lesson and proof that my thinking is not so strange after all.

FROM WIKI/Rocky Road ice cream:
The flavor was created in March 1929 by William Dreyer in Oakland, California when he cut up walnuts and marshmallows with his wife's sewing scissors and added them to his chocolate ice cream in a manner that reflected his partner Joseph Edy's chocolate candy creation incorporating walnuts and marshmallow pieces. Later, the walnuts would be replaced by pieces of toasted almond. After the Wall Street Crash of 1929, the company gave the flavor its current name "to give folks something to smile about in the midst of the Great Depression."
*I'm not even going to tell you why I chose a dentist that probably performed a root canal, when I didn't really need it. Ok, I'll tell you.  It was for the medication I heard he dispensed.  Now, isn't that just sad?  But to the One who saved me from self....it's a sweet, sweet tooth of redemption.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...